Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Measuring Cups & God's People


I think benedictions are cool. I came across one today and I decided to read the portion before it. 

“For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

That was Ephesians 3:14-19

The passage before this focuses on God’s marvelous plan for humans. He then goes on to say that we get our names from God Himself. We are strengthened with God’s power through His Spirit which just happens to dwell IN US. Christ dwells in our hearts simply through our faith. When we are rooted and established in love, we become empowered to grasp how wide, long, high and deep Christ loves us. 

Here is the kicker for me... that we may be filled with the fullness of God.

I think that is huge. Way more huge than we first think. I don’t mean for this to sound like the always ridiculous Joel Osteen, but God wants us to prosper.

Not money. Forget money. Hate money. Give it away. 

Here is my point…

God’s fullness will not be found in just one of His gifts.

Paul writes that we may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

God, in all His creative majesty, mercy and benevolence, built this huge playground called Earth for His beloved children. We screwed it up. But God, in all His creative, mercy and benevolence, continues to rain down gifts on His beloved children. 

He doesn’t give a holy crap if we are driving a Pinto, Prius or Porsche. 

But His fullness will be found in all of His gifts. Gifts like friends, pastors, mentors, family, neighbors, children and the elderly. People similar to you and people different. 

I am a big believer that our greatest gifts in life are the people that are part of our story.

The greatest gift of all, though, is that we can grasp how wide, long, high and deep God’s love together with all the Lord’s Holy people

That is the point. Pretty cool. 

“I sought my soul, But my soul I could not see. I sought my God, But my God eluded me. I sought my brother, And I found all three.” ---William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment