Monday, September 12, 2011

Lawn Sprinklers, Fables and my Coup De Gras

So I went for a walk today. I walked from my apartment to the bank, the post office, McDonalds (where the sprinklers went off as I walked through the lawn), Kroger and back home. As I strolled merrily along my way, I came across a line in a song on my iPod that got me.

“I’m so sick and tired of being admired that I wish I would just die or get fired and dropped from my label and stop with the fables…”

Okay so I don’t have a record label that could drop me and I definitely don’t want to die, but what grabbed me was that I have been so sick and tired of being admired for fables for so long.

Are you wondering what fables? I can’t be that bad right? If I am seriously a Christian and hold myself to Christ’s standards (not just the ones that make me feel good), then I confess to you that I am a guilty man. I have murdered. I have committed adultery. I have been dishonest. I have stolen what is not mine and I have been envious of my neighbor’s possessions. Seriously.

See the thing is that I have had a lot of supporters in my life. People have listened to me. People have trusted me. I think that if I asked, people would have done a lot of things for me. I have been respected, trusted, admired and honored. And I will be honest… it felt good.

Here is the thing though…

I don’t just want to be respected… I want to be respectable.
I don’t just want to be trusted… I want to be trustworthy.
I don’t just want to be admired… I want to be admirable.
I don’t just want to be honored… I want to be honorable.

At this stage in the game mediocrity can no longer be allowed to fly.

I am going to be real. I will not be a pretense. It is time to be the real deal.

I am not using “real” as an excuse to be a fallen human. However, I know that I can never be truly good, loving, free, wise, respectable, trustworthy, admirable or honorable until I can admit the failures and deal with the truth. Truth can’t just be something that comes and goes whenever it is convenient.

Truth is a way of life. Truth is the way and life. Truth has a proper name… Jesus. (John 14:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment