Friday, September 23, 2011

Francis' 2 cents

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.
                 St. Francis of Assisi

I hate the phrase “born again.” I get it and all, but it just seems so “christianese.” For real though, I hate that phrase. 

But its hard for a human to love in the midst of hatred.
Its hard for a human to pardon in the midst of injury.
Its hard for a human to have faith in the midst of doubt.
Its hard for a human to have hope in the midst of despair.
Its hard for a human to be light in the midst of darkness.
Its hard for a human to be joyful in the midst of sadness.

It seems pretty weird that our very best if found in our apparent dying. But how can I be a new person until my old self is put to death. I am not just talking about a change. I am talking about an entirely new person.

Some days I feel like I am dying. But I think that’s okay. I am not referring to a physical death, but a death of who I have been.

I refuse to stay the same. I refuse to just settle for how things have always been.

My point is that maybe death is okay if it is making room for new life to be resurrected out of it. Than again, only I think a god can bring death back to life. That is, God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment