Sunday, October 30, 2011

Down a peg or two

So recently I had the privilege of having a new friend come into my life… let’s call them M. Initially, this person began to grow dear to my heart because of how well I felt M understood me. I think that is still true.

But as I have gotten to know M better and better, they have trusted me enough to let me get close to them too. It has truly been a great pleasure of my life watching M question, struggle, learn and grow.

Do you ever have one of those experiences where you think you are helping someone but, as it turns out, it is really you who are learning the lessons?

I have a confession. A real one. When I talk to people about God stuff, I often get caught in this trap where I begin to think that this person needs me.

But as I have gotten to know M, and I have spent time and energy helping them sort out issues, my prayers began to change from asking for specific things. I no longer ask Him to answer a specific question, quench a specific thirst or fill a specific hunger.

Rather, I have been asking that this person simply discovers their need for God. And that God would arrive.

See the real thing I have been learning is that it doesn’t matter how much I can do for someone because, in the grand scheme of things, there is nothing I can do help recover what was lost.

The most significant I can do in life is simply to point people towards Christ.

I could spend 24 hours a day talking to M about God, but the truth is that M doesn’t need me… M needs God.

I need God.
More than air.
More than water.
More than answers.

Consider me humbled. Lesson learned.

"For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." -Matthew 23:12

No comments:

Post a Comment