Thursday, October 20, 2011

Every Dog Has Its Day

Times away give us space to rest, relax and look at our lives. Today is one of those days for me. Staci and I took off on a miniature one-night getaway to actually spend some time together. So we are resting, relaxing, swimming in pools and looking at our lives.

I can only speak for myself, but I like my life. I think I honor my wife. I think I am a pretty decent person. I think I care about other people. I think I live within my means. I think I honor my parents. I think I am a quality brother. I think I am a good friend to others. I think I tackle the issues of life. I think I make pretty good sweet tea.

All in all, I think I am a pretty good guy according to most people’s standards.

But what about God’s standards?

He is not a God who looks at my school loans, prioritized schedule or sweet tea.
He is not a God who looks at the outside stuff.
He is a God who asks if I do what He asks.
He is a God who looks at the inside stuff.

Oh dear, oh dear. The inside stuff is the stuff I am really working on because I want to inside stuff to match the outside stuff. No wait. I want to outside stuff to match the inside stuff.

So, from the inside out, I am really trying to love others. Not just do the right thing, but love others.

“I have found the paradox; that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” Mother Teresa

I often wonder what God and I will talk about on Judgment Day. Will I still like my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment