Sunday, October 16, 2011

Peace Mon

So today I got to thinking about the song In Christ Alone and, in particular, the line that says, “what heights of love and depths of peace.”

I was thinking how cool God is that He can be the Creator of the highest joys and strongest loves, and yet also has the capacity to stoop to the deepest pains and hurts.

What struck me today is that peace is found in the depths. I am sure everyone else knows that but it just hit me. After all, peace isn’t needed until it gets crazy.

Jesus didn’t calm the sea until after the storm as there. Obvious, I know.

I don’t know how to put this without sounding stupid. So I will try… If love is like a mountain, I think peace is a valley.

Not so much the typical idea of a valley being a bad thing… but more like peace being the river at the bottom of the valley.

The river brings life but the river is the lowest point.
The river is refreshing but the river is always unpredictable.

It may feel everything else has the advantage of high ground but where the metaphor ends is that God’s peace at the lowest point of suffering exists to raise us up.

What we find at the lowest of lows isn’t death and despair, it is actually the depth of peace.

Heights of love. Depth of peace. In Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment