Thursday, October 13, 2011

I can't only imagine. It's gotta happen!

I have a confession. I have a passionate dislike for the word “nice”. Be nice. He is nice. She is nice. That was nice. It sure is nice of you. That would be nice.

What should a Christian look like? Nice?

Alright home slice, I will keep this concise. I’ll roll the dice...

I DON’T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT BEING NICE! And I think that I am not just being a jerk…

“How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucifed? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?” – Philip Yancey

So that led to me to the question, what did they crucify Jesus for?

I admit that I couldn’t articulate it without consulting Google. Google told me that it was he claimed to be the Messiah.

Would I get crucified for claiming to be the Messiah? Probably not. Not even back then. I think people would just laugh at me. Nobody would believe me!

But I think they crucified Jesus because they DID believe him. Anyone can ignore the crazy man claiming to be god. But perhaps they couldn’t stand him because it was realistic!

So back to my nice thing. According to dictionary.com, the word nice means, “pleasing, agreeable, delightful.” Yuck. Pleasing. Yuck. Agreeable. Yuck. Delightful. Yuck

I guess I don’t really have a problem with pleasing or delightful. But agreeable is irritating to me. Though, being argumentative is more irritating.

But here is the point. Jesus wasn’t agreeable. He didn't come to grant wishes and fix problems.

Jesus wasn't nice… so we shouldn’t be either.

Jesus was good. Jesus was compassionate. Jesus was joy. Jesus was peace. Jesus was patient. Jesus was kind. Jesus was faithful. Jesus was gentle. Jesus was loving. 

We should be like Jesus. Imagine that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment