Friday, January 13, 2012

Ignorance

“We must learn to regard people less in light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Have you ever seen someone who has the kind of eyes that tell a story?

Whether they are the eyes of a mother who just gave birth or the eyes of a prisoner in Auschwitz… eyes tell stories.

Every once in a while I get to catch a glimpse of someone’s eyes who are telling a story and here is the kicker… it is my job to listen.

I wish I was better at that.

Because I admit that I often judge people on what they do or don’t do. It’s stupid and I can’t stand it anymore. I think I need to stop and listen to the stories that wait in the souls of these people.

Jesus said to love our neighbors.

But how often to church people not even know their neighbor. I admit I don’t even know the faces of several of my neighbors… let alone their life stories.

It’s preposterous. And I can’t imagine Jesus would be like that at all. Even remotely.

Reality check… If you don’t know anyone who is hurting, then stop being blind to it.

We can’t pretend to love our neighbors if we don’t even know our neighbors.

“We must learn to regard people less in light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment